Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Word of the Week: 'A'

Words really are amazing things.  They help us convey thoughts, ideas, and emotions.  Possessing an extensive vocabulary, as well as the ability to communicate through words aids in building relationships, self-expression, and....getting a good verbal score on the GRE?  Right?

Okay, I'll level with you--I believe everything I said about the importance of an extensive vocabulary, but I have my own selfish motive for posting a "word of the week."  As any American student planning to continue on to graduate school knows, getting admitted to a program requires running the gauntlet that is the Graduate Record Examination.  Part of this examination is a verbal section consisting of multiple word identifications, analogies, reading passages, etc...As I'm a visual, hands-on learner, I thought I would just kill two birds with one stone and post the most commonly used GRE words on my blog each week.  Maybe we can learn them together!

This week's word is *drum roll please*:


ab-scond /ab'skand/

Verb:
  1. Leave hurriedly and secretly, typically to avoid detection or arrest.
  2. (of someone on bail) Fail to surrender oneself for custody at the appointed time.


Synoyms:  flee-escape-run away-elope

Sentence: 1) I absconded from the cafe as soon as I noticed my ex-boyfriend walk in the door.
2)  To abscond during a court trial will most likely get you in more trouble.


Get it?  Got it.  Good!




No comments :

Post a Comment