Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Fiesta Veggie Burgers

We all know that when the craving for a cheeseburger hits, there is no squelching it.  This is why, after a few hours of enduring a growling stomach at work, I decided to concoct a veggie burger recipe once I got home.
I went on a camping trip over the summer where I had black bean veggie burgers for the first time, and I've been craving them ever since!  They were so substantial that I honestly didn't miss the meat.




I love spicy food, so I decided to take this recipe the Mexican route.  To be honest though,  I feel like veggie burgers are usually everything-but-the-kitchen-sink recipes, so you can add whatever you want. Hmmm...maybe Greek fusion next time?  The only rule to keep in mind is to try to avoid adding any additional moisture to the mix, as it will make the patties crumbly.




You will need:

2 cans black beans (15oz)
1 bell pepper, diced
1 diced yellow squash, sauteed
1/2 onion, diced
1 cup diced mushrooms, sauteed
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 cup oats
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 Tbs. cumin
1 Tbs. chili powder
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
salt, pepper, and sriracha to taste

First, pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.  Grease cookie sheets lightly with olive oil.
In a large mixing bowl, mash rinsed and dried black beans with a fork (I used an old potato masher) until they are the consistency of a paste.  Try to avoid introducing excess moisture by patting the mushrooms and squash dry after they have been sauteed, and then add them to the bean mixture.  Bell pepper, onion, garlic, and oats can be added at this point as well.
In a separate, small bowl beat one large egg and the spices, cumin, chili powder, and red pepper flakes  (you could probably also use store-bought taco seasoning).  Add the egg mixture to the large bowl, and moosh all ingredients together with your hands.  Add salt, pepper, and sriracha as needed.
Coat hands in olive oil, shape bean mixture into patties, and place on greased cookie sheet.  The veggie burgers will be in the oven for a total of 20 minutes, but flip them over after ten minutes so they cook thoroughly.




These burgers are good enough to eat on their own with some ketchup and avocado, but you can also add cheese, or eat them with a toasted wheat bun.  The options really are limitless..What would you think about a pineapple teriyaki veggie burger?




This recipe provided enough mixture to make nine veggie burger patties, which was plenty considering the fact that I was full after eating one.
I'm sure leftovers would be great with eggs for breakfast, or in a corn tortilla with avocado for lunch.  In Cabo San Lucas. With a margarita.

2 comments :

  1. So hey hey hey!!! These were FABULOUS! I added corn just cuz I always do! SO GREAT! I adore your blog!!! I'm here to stay! XOV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Aren't they great? They get a little crumbly if you refrigerate leftovers, so I recommend freezing the patties. If this message is coming too late, do as I did, and put the crumbles in a romaine lettuce leaf with hummus and sriracha. To die for.

      Delete