Thursday, May 23, 2013

Cruisin' Santa Barbara

In case you missed it, yesterday's post was all about Cannes.  I am insanely jealous of those who are able to attend the Cannes Film Festival, but I can't sit back and watch the yarn unravel every time I don't get my way.  So, I allowed myself a little time to be an envious fusspot, and then sought a remedy.

As luck would have it, I live 45 minutes from the "American Riviera", otherwise known as Santa Barbara, California.  The climate is sunny and Mediterranean (you know, kind of like the South of France). Everywhere you look there is beautiful architecture with stark white stucco walls and orange terra cotta roof tiles, lush landscaping, and a huge blue ocean in the background. 

Cannes, Santa Barbara...Tomato, tomahto.


This is one of my favorite buildings in town, the Courthouse.  Isn't she a beaut?


The best part is the detailing throughout the building.  The tile-work is so beautiful, and the paintings in the Mural Room were just recently restored.  The newly revived colors are absolutely stunning. 






Look at those cute little jailbirds!


Note the different colored beams on the ceiling.

The cherry on top of the Courthouse Sundae, is the clock tower.  Once you get to the top, there is a 360 degree view of the whole city.  It really is spectacular.  It closes at 4:45 every evening, so unfortunately, access is barred before sunset...But wouldn't that be a romantic way to impress a date?


Air was a little hazy, but the view was still definitely worth the stair-climb, I'd say!



                   

Bye, Courthouse!  You've been a doll.  

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't insanely excited that our next stop was South Coast Deli for lunch.  I make a requisite visit every time I'm in the area, and I crave the South Coast Turkey Sandwich at least once a week.  We entered the establishment with stomachs rumbling and ordered one of everything!
No, we didn't.  But what a truly glorious idea.


Not aesthetically spectacular in any way, but the menu is out of this world!  This venue is located at 1436 Chapala St, Santa Barbara, CA.  Hours are Monday through Friday 7-4 and Saturday 11-4.


As you can see, prices are extremely reasonable, and portions are huge.  




We ordered the South Coast Veggie and South Coast Turkey Toasted Sammies and the Romaine and Gorgonzola Salad.  Not a crumb was left in our wake.  

After lunch, we strolled around the downtown area for a bit of window shopping.  Having already determined that today would be a day of indulgence, we were also on a mission to find something sweet to balance out the savory.  
We stumbled across Andersen's Bakery, which it turns out, is the meeting place for Marzipan Addicts Anonymous.  Rach became an honorary member.  I watched the entire brutal initiation process as I licked chocolate off my hands.




Oof!  That Mr.Andersen, he knows what he's doing.  



We walked back to the car, sunburned and satisfied.  
Though it was a little sad to be leaving, we couldn't be sullen for long with vistas like these on the drive home.  



I love you, California.

1 comment :

  1. I'm heading to California this summer and have a week in Santa Barbara so will have to check out the clock tower for that view! also excited to see there is a Danish bakery as I've just come back from six months in Denmark and I'm already missing the pastries.

    http://capturingthewanderlust.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete