Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Dijon & Vinegar Avocados

Avocados are a dietary staple for Californians.  Their rich and creamy texture enhances any dish, and I've even seen multiple recipes that allow for replacing dairy with avocados (Rosie, I'm talking to you!).

I read somewhere that European sailors used avocados in place of butter during their maritime quest for the Americas.  Who could blame them?  The sad news is, if they had been lucky enough to have Dijon mustard and vinegar aboard, they could have made these goodies.


Kudos for this recipe actually go to my brother-in-law.  I was visiting my sister in Washington, DC last Summer, and as we sat around watching the Olympics, a commercial break offered us the 5 minutes we needed to create (what is now) my favorite go-to snack. Quick, easy, nutritious, and delicioso!

You will need:

1 ripe avocado
1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. dijon mustard


First, slice and pit your green goddess.


Next, slice the pitted avocado halves into small squares, which will allow the vinegar to really soak in to the meat of the avocado.


Pour 1/2 tsp. of vinegar into the pitted avocado halves, and make sure it is dispersed evenly.


Once the vinegar has had about a minute to sit, put 1/2 tsp. of dijon into each avocado and spread evenly with a spoon.



Now, this is the part where cutting the avocado into bite-size squares comes in handy...


Allows for efficient and enjoyable noshing, of course!

20 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. So yummy! I was thinking about how good it would be with a red orange infused balsamic I tried at a winery last Summer. Might have to nose around and find someone who makes it locally...Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. This looks delicious, I always use avocados with lime in my salads. Thank you for visiting my blog, maybe we can follow each other, just let me know!!
    a beautiful maison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm. Avocado and lime were made to be together. Guacamole, anyone?

      And consider yourself "followed" on Bloglovin', lady! xo

      Delete
  3. I guess this is the quickest avocado recipie I have ever seen. I am going to try this to find out how it tastes.

    http://bythewear.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So so quick! In my humble opinion, that's the best part! Definitely try them, and then tell me what you think! xo

      Delete
  4. Love avocado so I´m trying it ! nice blog, gonna keep coming for more updates !
    if you have sometime hope you can see mine and tell me your honest opinion =) would make my day =)
    www.thestyletographer.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mariana, thank you for stopping by! You're in Mexico, so I'm sure you've got tons of delicious avocados at your disposal. So happy to have found your blog. Left you a little note with my feedback. :)

      xo

      Delete
  5. hmm they look so delicious!:) love avocados, but I cant get them in Czech Republic, they're usually very bad quality :( Thats why I go shopping to Germany from time to time. Nice blog by the way! :) Do you want to follow each other on bloglovin? Just let me know ;)

    www.lorietta.cz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Bad quality avocados are not worth eating. Nice to have an excuse to shop in Germany though! :) I would love to follow each other! I'll toodle over to your blog right now. Thanks for stopping by, Petra!

      Delete
  6. This looks so yummy, I'm fond of avocados, they're the best vegetables in the world! Keep up with your blog, I love it! You're doing an amazing job!

    http://www.carlysscloset.blogspot.com/

    Carly's Closet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carly! You're so sweet! Words of encouragement from blogging peers are very inspiring. xo

      Delete
  7. yum! looks delicious!

    great blog, would you like to follow each other on bloglovin, twitter, etc? please let me know if you follow, we will follow back :)

    http://www.footnotesandfinds.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it, ladies! I've followed you. Thanks for stopping by! xoxo

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Well, it was a damn good looking avocado....Thanks for stopping by, you guys! xo

      Delete