Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Lavender Tangerine Sangria


I was driving home from a work meeting this afternoon with the windows down in the 100+ degree weather, and all I could think about was laying out with a cold, delicious, alcoholic beverage in hand.  As soon as I got home, I picked some tangerines from the tree in my backyard, wandered around the garden looking for a fragrant, herby something to add to my concoction, and then it happened.
I had an epiphany.  Maybe one of the best ideas I've ever had.
Lavender Tangerine Sangria.

Why had I never tried this before?  Refreshing, tangy, and sweet all at once.  Mmmm.

You will need:



10 tangerines
1/2 cup of sugar
3 oz. brandy
1 bottle white wine (I used chardonnay)
1 11 oz. bottle lime-flavored Perrier
1 cup peach nectar
8 lavender sprigs
zest from one tangerine


First, slice five of the tangerines into rounds and add them to pitcher.  Then, add sugar, brandy, and zest to pitcher, letting the tangerines marinade.  Juice the remaining tangerines and add to the brandy mixture.




Next add peach nectar, Perrier, and wine to the marinading tangerines.



This is a good point to taste your mixture to see if you like the sweetness level.  If it's too sweet for you, feel free to add more wine or sparkling water.

Once your sangria's got your taste buds humming, add the lavender sprigs to make them start singing like Pavarotti.  Let set for about ten minutes, allowing the lavender to infuse.
Add ice, stir, and serve.






My friend Andi and I sat outside in the sun pleasantly buzzed with our feet in the pool, dishing about boys, our weekend plans, and life in general.


I think I actually lived the afternoon I was dreaming about on my drive home today.
Don't you love when that happens?



19 comments :

  1. Yum!
    Want to try it!
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com
    Love your look btw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Regine! Definitely try the sangria. So refreshing!

      Delete
  2. oh good lord, 100 degrees?! no wonder you had cold sangria on the brain haha. and how awesome that you have tangerines growing in your backyard! obviously, that tree comes in handy ;) this recipe sounds delicious and it's making me want to throw a little patio shin-dig with my friends :)

    xo Marlen
    Messages on a Napkin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marlen, these are PERFECT for patio shin-digs! Especially because you can stretch the sangria base to last longer by adding more wine to the original mixture, or just doubling the recipe from the beginning. And yes, 100 degree weather is one of the small prices to pay for being fortunate enough to live in sunny California. I'll take it! xo

      Delete
  3. This drink looks great would love to feature it on my refresh section of my blog! Let me know if you want to follow each other and on bloglovin!

    www.cheersandcosmos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be absolutely flattered, Charmaine! Consider yourself followed, darlin'. Let me know when it's posted, so I can swing by to check it out! xo

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tangerine Sangria looks amazing! I love orangy-flavours, so I have to try this recipe sometime during summer! Must be perfect for a hot summer´s day!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please do! I promise you won't regret it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. How can I have someone pour this into my mouth right now? Delish.

    www.thewalkupblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keren, I'd be happy to oblige! However, I understand if the entire United States of America between your coast and mine is too much of an interference. You should mix up a batch! Doesn't take too long, and is SO worth it!

      Delete
  8. Wow, this looks amazing! Can you actually taste the lavender? What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this Sangria looks amazing! Can you actually taste the lavender? Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kitkat Kaboodle, I will see your pink moment cocktails and raise you a lavender tangerine sangria. You actually can taste the lavender, but it's a faint flavoring. If you are really partial to the taste of lavender, I suggest you add the sprigs at the beginning with the brandy, tangerines, sugar, and tangerine juice and letting them marinade for a good ten minutes before continuing. Should do the trick. xo

      Delete
  10. wow this looks so delicious!! i have to try this! thanks for the inspiration

    http://desideratum-design.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carolin! I've followed you on Bloglovin'! Keep up the good work. :)

      Delete
  11. Wow, amazing! I am making a shortened version of this today, since I don't have wine, I am using a cocktail shaker and vodka, cheers!

    ReplyDelete