Friday, May 31, 2013

Ojai Hippie Granola Bars

This morning, for whatever reason, I recalled a phone conversation I had with a friend during college.  I had chosen to stay in California, and she had opted to attend the University of Montana.
As sad as I was to see her leave, I knew that Montana was a beautiful state full of mountains, and rivers, and...granola eaters?
During one of the first chats we had with each other after going our separate ways, I asked her how she liked Missoula, her college town. She responded promptly, saying, "I like it a lot, but you would love it, Eileen. It's just like Ojai; there are tons of hiking trails, the wilderness is gorgeous, the locals are very "granola eater-ish."
Until that moment, I hadn't really thought about my hometown as being unusually health conscious, or hippie-ish, but the more I looked at it with an outsider's perspective, I realized that it really is! I'm going to miss this little town a lot when I leave for the east coast.

So, this recipe is an ode to my Ojai roots, nuts and all!



You will need:

2 cups oats
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup shredded coconut
3 Tbs. unsalted butter
2/3 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp. salt (not necessary if using salted butter)
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup dried currants
1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped

First, pre-heat oven to 375.  Prepare a lipped baking sheet by both greasing it with butter and lining it with parchment paper (granola gets really sticky!). Place oats, almonds, sunflower seeds, and coconut on a different baking sheet and spread as thinly as possible for balanced toasting of ingredients.  Place tray in oven. Once items are all golden brown in color (it took mine about 14 minutes), remove from oven, lower heat to 300 degrees and pour into a medium sized mixing bowl.

Next, place butter, honey, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt in a sauce pan.



  Once mixture has boiled, remove from stove top, and pour liquid over toasted oat mixture.


You can go ahead and toss in the dried fruit at this point.


Mix everything together.


Plop the whole granola blend onto the lined baking sheet and flatten it out into a square.



Now it's ready for the oven!  Bake for about 30 minutes.


Once removed, let granola sit and solidify for about 2 hours so you'll be able to cut it into bars without having it fall apart. 


I played around with shapes a little, but eventually found that squares worked best!



Enjoy!




Adacpted from Ina Garten's recipe, found here.

12 comments :

  1. These looks really yummy! I've never tried to make granola bars before but I love trying new things! Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    -V
    http://stylishlyme.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi V! Granola is super easy! Give it a try! This recipe was really good crumbled over yogurt as well!

      Delete
  2. Amazing!!!
    Would you like to follow each other? Let me know!!

    xoxo

    http://estilohedonico.blogspot.pt/
    https://www.facebook.com/estilohedonico?ref=hl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Estilo. Yes, let's follow each other! :)

      Delete
  3. This looks really good. And judging by the ingredients, ridiculously healthy too!

    Sincerely,
    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty healthy, but it tastes like candy! Was thinking about the different varieties of dried fruit that could go into them. Blueberries are next on the list! Thanks for stopping by, Sabrina!

      Delete
  4. As I was reading this my mouth was watering so bad- and I love that your friend relates you with granola so much, haha! And i just drove through Montana getting to Seattle- holy moly is it BEAUTIFUL. Seriously, that nature is astounding. Where are you going in the east coast?

    xo Marlen
    Messages on a Napkin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marlen! Montana is insane! I'll be in Seattle area for a wedding in August, and can't wait - I haven't been to Washington state since I was little! I'll be moving to New York City. A little scary, VERY exciting!

      Delete
  5. Ahh this looks SO yummy, I am starving atm and this just made everything worse haha! <3 I will be definitely trying this recipe when I have more free time! :)

    Andrea | RosyChicc

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks seriously delish!

    http://en-attendant-coco.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete