Friday, May 24, 2013

Salted Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

I am about to give you some very dangerous information. This information will almost definitely make you feel anxious, excited, desperate, and hungry all at once.  How does one cope with all of these emotions at the same time?  I can tell you now, it's not going to be pretty, and you will feel drawn to act upon these emotions immediately.
Ready for it?  Here it is: I have discovered the best chocolate chip cookie recipe in the world. I know.  Unbelievable, but it's true.
Salted, chewy, chocolatey sustenance. 
Aaand it's begun.  I can sense your anxious/excited/desperate/hungry emotions starting to kick in.

I have good news.  We can work through this together.  I am tempted to proclaim this recipe's greatness from the rooftops, but I won't.  I'll do the next best thing, which is to tell you baking wizards how to make them.
See?  Not all is lost!


You will need:

1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. warm water
1/2 cup butter
1 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Himalayan salt (sea salt works too!)



First, if you're using raw walnuts (like I did), chop them into smaller pieces, and place on a baking sheet.



Set oven to around 350 to toast the walnuts.  Keep them in for about 8 minutes, but check on them frequently so they don't burn.  Pull them out when they look dark golden and crispy.  Leave oven on, because the cookies will also be baked at 350.

Next, place granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla in a mixing bowl.


Melt entire stick of butter in a saucepan on the stove top.


Allow it to simmer until it becomes dark brown in color.


Once the butter is browned and melted, pour it into the sugar mixture, and mix together.


Next, mix warm water and baking soda in a small bowl.


Pour baking soda mixture into batter.


Add egg, 1/2 cup chocolate chips, and flour to large bowl one at a time.  Stir mixture lightly between each addition.




Finally, add remaining chocolate chips and toasted walnuts to cookie dough. Make sure you mix it well so you get a little bit of everything in each bite.


Line cookie sheets with parchment paper and place tablespoon-sized drops of cookie dough on sheets.  These cookies do spread a little, so give them room to breathe.


Bake for 9-12 minutes.  They will deflate and get a little crackly once you remove them from the oven.

Wait for it...


Yes, please!


Crack a little Himalayan salt on top when cookies are still warm out of the oven.

Take the time for a silly photo opp (but not too much time), and enjoy!





14 comments :

  1. Wow these sound absolutely delish! I'm vegan so may have to find an alternate recipe so I can make something similar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh No! Cookies with 'butter' in the title are probably not the best thing for you. I just tried a jalapeno cashew cream cheese the other day, which was to die for! You should keep a look out for it - so good! Thanks for stopping by, lady! Your blog is fabulous, by the way!

      Delete
  2. Oh dear....I can feel a cookie cooking moment coming on! xx Love you to check out my blog xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cookie moments are good moments! Just stooped by your blog. It's so fun! I love Proenza Schouler AND your 'get the look for less' section. Nice work!

      Delete
  3. Looks delicious! I have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do, Olga! You won't regret it! They taste like toffee and chocolate all mixed into one. Prrreettyyy fantastic.

      Delete
  4. YUM!! I definitely must try these! Thanks for the recipe. Cookies are one of my weaknesses.
    xoxo

    www.cakeandcouture.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cookies are my weakness too! Especially when crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside...like these ones! Try them, and then let me know how many you eat! ;)

      Delete
  5. Ohh yum, these look too good. I haven't had homemade choc chip cookies in way too long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my. That's what happened to me, and then I made these....No regrets!! Make them. Please.

      Delete
  6. These look so undeniably guilty guilty pleasures for the soul! I must make them soon!!!

    (='.'=)
    Lauren at adorn la femme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren..You have no idea. My soul was golden after eating these babies! Make them! Super delicious!

      Delete
  7. These sound insanely good! Must try - I'm bookmarking it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy, this is so delicious honey! Congratulations, seems so easy to make it!
    I have to cook this soon!
    xoxox, see you soon!

    ReplyDelete