Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Strawberries and Cream Scones

As I was scrolling through my twitter account this morning, I uncovered some very useful information.  According to Paula Deen, May is National Strawberry Month.  Perfect!
That was all the extra prodding it took for me to mosey over to the local fruit stand to purchase some of those bite-size pockets of spring sweetness we all know and love.

I knew instantly what I wanted to do with them: Stawberries and Cream Scones.  It couldn't go wrong!



 Aren't they just calling you to eat them whole with lots of butter?  Luckily for you, you can in a few easy steps!


You will need:

2 cups flour
1 Tbs. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. sugar
5 Tbs. unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
1 cup cream, as cold as possible
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup strawberries, sliced

First, set oven to 400 degrees and rinse strawberries well (I mostly added this step because I wanted to show you a picture of how pretty they looked, but it is important to clean produce properly before baking with it!).



After the berries have been rinsed, cut them into slivers and set aside.
Butter can be cut into cubes at this point.  Keeping the dough as cold as possible is what leads to the flakey goodness one looks for in a scone, so you might even keep the butter in the fridge until you need to use it.
Mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together in a medium sized mixing bowl.




Work cold butter into the flour mixture with a fork until it has a grainy texture and set aside.




Quickly add heavy cream and vanilla extract to a large mixing bowl.  Add sliced strawberries to the flour mixture. Once they have been evenly distributed throughout dry ingredients, slowly add dry mixture one scoop at a time to wet ingredients.  Mix dough lightly after each addition.  Don't over-mix though, otherwise the scones will get too dense and rubbery!

Once the dough has been mixed just enough to get the flour off the sides of the bowl, place the ball of dough onto a piece of wax paper and flatten it into a circle.  At this point, I cut mine into eight pieces, but I definitely could have cut them smaller.  Mine ended up being ginormous!



This photo puts my lack of ability to cut things proportionally on display.  Oh well.  I'll eat the little ones too!



Next, brush scones with a coat of heavy cream, then place them onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.  At this point you will be tempted to eat the scones raw.  Don't do it.  Fifteen minutes isn't that long in the grand scheme of things.  Make a phone call, check your e-mail, or paint your nails to distract yourself.  These bad boys are so much better warm and golden.







Place the baking sheet in the oven.  Timer should be set for 15-20 minutes, or however long it takes for the scones to become golden brown.




Like I said, I'm not one to brag about my grasp on proportion.  In my defense, the scones did spread further than I had anticipated, probably because I didn't keep my ingredients cold enough.  Don't make my mistake!




What better way to honor my favorite berry than to incorporate it into something sweet, delicious, and completely drool worthy?

I couldn't come up with better anything either.


4 comments :

  1. mmm those look fabulous, i love a good scone for breakfast :) i actually made a strawberry smoothie yesterday, so i must have had some inkling about it being the month to celebrate them ;)

    also, i love that you follow paula haha!

    xo Marlen
    Messages on a Napkin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula is the best! I know, I bought so many strawberries, I need to figure out what to do with the rest. My eyes were bigger than my stomach! Smoothies are always amazing...

      Thanks for stopping by, Marlen! xo

      Delete
  2. Wow!! These actually look super delicious! I've been trying to find a recipe for strawberries because I always end up buying too many and having to throw them away. I'm definitely going to try this recipe! Thank you so much

    <3 Kelly's Kouture

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Kelly! They are amazing. Definitely give them a try! This recipe is a great way to use up wonky strawberries. No one would ever notice!

      Delete