Wednesday, June 12, 2013

"Perfect" Summer Negroni


As you may be able to tell from some of my previous posts, I've become a little more adventurous with my beverage making endeavors.  Tonight, I had a hankering for something a little sweet and sophisticated.  I had initially wanted to attempt a traditional gin-based Negroni, but seeing bottles of both "sweet" and "dry" vermouth on the shelf, I thought, "Why not go the whole nine yards and make a "perfect" negroni."
"Perfect" meaning equal parts "sweet" and "dry" vermouth...which I didn't know until Vic told me.  If you like gin, you will like this drink.

So, tip for sounding like an alcohol know-it-all at the bar: apparently, one can make any drink requiring vermouth "perfectly." "I'll take a "Perfect Manhattan. Up, please!" You can thank me later, after you snag a date with the impressed stud sitting at the bar.


You will need:

1 1/2 oz. London dry gin (that's the larger side of the jigger)
1 oz. Aperol
1/2 oz. sweet vermouth
1/2 oz. dry vermouth
2-3 drops bitters (optional, but it cuts the sweetness nicely)
ice
garnish with an orange wedge


Fill each serving glass with ice and pour that amount into the shaker. Combine all ingredients.


 Stir ingredients well, for a good minute.


Pour mixture over new ice.


Gracie reminded me too late that garnishing the glass with an orange wheel is very important. Thanks for the tip, pooch.  I'll try it next time!



If you like your Negroni a little less sweet, you might try using Martini Rossi vermouth, but I liked the Dubonnet.  I want to stress though, that it is important to stir your concoction well in the shaker so you get a little more water content in your drink.  You don't want an overly-concentrated Negroni.  

The last part is up to you: decide where you want to relax and enjoy your drink. I found out the easy way that sitting outside on a deck in the evening isn't such a bad scenario.
 Let me know what you all come up with!

10 comments :

  1. Thanks for the tip - I like sounding like I know what I'm talking about at the bar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just spreading the wealth, Little T! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful blog! Thanks for discovering mine so I could discover yours! I'm excited to get reading & also excited to try this drink recipe this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I am so happy to have discovered new reading material in your blog! You rock! Thanks for stopping by, Brea! xo

      Delete
  4. awesome. I'm not a massive negroni fan,. but my hubby is - maybe surprise him with one when he gets home now that i have the recipe ;o)
    xx
    Tipsy Tart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oohh! You sneaky thing. I like it! Let me know what he thinks! xo

      Delete
  5. yumm that sounds so, so good. and i'm so hopeless at fancy drinks. at the bar i'm usually all like "bud light please...", so this will definitely help up my street cred ;)

    xo marlen
    Messages on a Napkin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mos' def, Marlen! Consider your street cred "perfect."

      Delete
  6. Ok, I have to admit that when I'm looking at a blog I haven't seen before, I usually tend to scroll through until a picture catches my eye. But this time it was a word, my favourite 3 letter word. GIN. Fantastic recipe which I will most certainly be trying out.
    Great blog too :)
    Love Isabella x
    http://isabellabellamozzarella.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you found me, Isabella! I also love gin, so this recipe was great! You might try adding a little soda water if you want to be able to sip on it a little bit longer. Just a thought! Thanks for stopping by, girl! xo

      Delete