Friday, June 7, 2013

Tangy Pisco Sour


This morning I woke up to the pitter-patter of rain on the roof.  I actually love rain, because we don't get much of it on the west coast, but my brother-in-law does not feel the same way.  He suggested we make a batch of a drink he's been trying to perfect over the last few weeks to bring some cheer to a gloomy day.

Once he described the Pisco Sour to me, and I insisted it sounded like a margarita, while he insisted it was completely different. Never one to turn down a cocktail, or a challenge, I agreed to his offer of afternoon-caps.  I cut up some limes while he grabbed the shaker.

Victor was right.  Nothing like a margarita, surprisingly.

Pisco is a grape brandy produced in Peru and Chile, and it has delicious cedar-like flavor, which balances nicely with the zesty flavor of the lime in this recipe.


You will need (1 drink):

1.5 oz. pisco
1 oz. lime juice
.5 oz. simple syrup
1 egg white (optional, but highly recommended)
3-4 drops angostura bitters

First, pour Pisco, lime juice, and egg white (optional) into shaker.  Dry shake vigorously for 20 seconds to create foam from egg white.  Hold tight when shaking; you are emulsifying ingredients that don't blend naturally, and don't want to risk the top flying off the shaker! Now, I know some of you may be concerned about bacteria that could be ingested from the egg whites, but it was explained to me that alcohol and lime have curative effects that cancel out any potential negative effects of the raw egg.  A similar procedure is used when making ceviche.

Anyway, once you've got a really great foam from the dry shake, add ice to the shaker, and again, shake well for 20 seconds.  Water from the ice is a key component to this recipe, so don't skimp on this part!

Finally, strain mixture over new ice, and once foam has settled on top of the drink, add 3-4 drops of bitters.  Add lime wheel to brim of glass for aesthetic appeal, and you've got a great drink on your hands!

Enjoy!...but do I really need to remind you?

4 comments :

  1. Looks deliciuos! And I loved the final sentence heheh

    XX

    www.themirroronthewall.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the sound of this. Anything with fresh lime sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! You really must try. I just found out that Trader Joe's sells a reasonably priced pisco. You should sniff it out and give it a shot! :)

      Delete