Thursday, July 18, 2013

Chocolate Chip Brioche Pretzels

I wish I could take all of the credit for these delectable creations, but it's really Smitten Kitchen's Deb Perelman who came up with this Sunday brunch hit.
Honestly, when I first saw the photo of these, I thought, "too complicated," but these chewy, fluffy, perfectly sweet pretzels are actually fun to make, and not scary at all! They will definitely be included in many more holidays and brunches to come. Think about all of the different versions that could be concocted: dried cranberry and white chocolate; garlic and sun-dried tomato; cinnamon and blueberry. Mmmmm.


The smells coming from the kitchen while these babies were baking were absolutely insane! I had to give one a taste test as soon as they were finished - you know, to make sure they weren't poisoned.


If you make them on the bigger side, they will end up a little more chewy and bready. If you roll them into thinner strands before shaping them, they will be a little more crunchy on the outside. Both ways are phenomenal. Yes, I tried both methods.

Also, I didn't have a stand-alone mixer at my disposal, so i used my hands for all of the mixing and kneading. I felt like one of the characters in Little Women the whole time, but the dough turned out wonderfully.

I sprinkled a salt and sugar mixture on top after glazing them, and it added a little bit more of that traditional pretzel flavor we all know and love. 


Bake them. Eat them. Love them. 

The recipe can be found here. Give them a try, and then send me a picture of the results on twitter or Instagram (username: eilyfin). Would love to see what kinds of combinations you are able to create!

12 comments :

  1. mmmm these look delicious...i've never made brioche before!

    http://capturingthewanderlust.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't either, but it was really easy! Give it a go, and then let me know how it turns out! Thanks for stopping by, lady!

      Delete
  2. These look soooooo goooooood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. they look freaking yummy!
    I always find that cakes seem to taste better when I used my own hands at kneading them, I'm probably imaging, but idk after such work I think I appreciate a lot better the outcome
    I'll try the cranberry and the white chocolate it must be to die for!!
    Shame on you for sharing such delicious recipes ahah
    beijijnho*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree, Ana! I was worried, because I've always been told that over-mixing can create a rubbery quality in dough, but these turned out really well. Like I said, share your creation with me on twitter or instagram! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Those look so good!

    http://initialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that looks so delicious! Such a unique recipe!

    http://www.themirroronthewall.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I wish I could pat myself on the back. Smitten Kitchen is just nuts - so many delicious options to choose from!

      Delete
  6. so true isn't it, that the recipes that look the most complicated often turn out to be really quite simple?! LLGxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Anything bread-related can make me a little nervous because consistency is so important, but in the end, how badly can flour, butter, and sugar go wrong? Xo

      Delete